Fordhook Lima Bush Bean- Heirloom, Non GMO Seeds
Who has childhood memories of Lima Beans? Fordhook lima beans, also known as butterbeans, are one of the best large lima beans available. With easy to shell pods these beans are perfect for cooking, freezing or canning. The beans can also be dried for winter storage. One note about Lima beans, they should not be eaten raw. They contain linamarin, which releases a cyanide compound when the seed is opened; however, cooking deactivates this compound.
Days to Maturity 75
Packet Contains 20 Seeds
Growing Bush Beans - Benefits and Instructions
Benefits of Growing Bush Beans
- Faster to grow to maturity than pole beans, do not require support
- Legumes are light feeders and fix nitrogen into the soil
- Nutritional Profile - high in fibre, antioxidants like Vitamin C, quercetin
- Dry beans store very well
- Use in: Salads, steamed vegetable as a green bean or harvest bean seeds for storage
Use maturity days as an indicator. Harvest once the beans are smooth, firm and crisp. Keep plants constantly picked to ensure a fresh supply. Bean formation in the pod is a sure sign of over-maturity.
Beans are best pickled for off grid storage or stored dry in jars after the bean seeds are harvested
Excellent companion for most vegetables except the onion family, basil, fennel, kohlrabi.